This year’s Horizon Report 2009 lists 6 “big” new trends including:
- Mobile devices
- Cloud computing
- The personal web
- Semantic-aware applications, and
- Smart objects.
Over the next several days, we’ll focus on each of these trends and share specific examples of tools and applications that fall under each trend. If you’re impatient, you can view the entire report (in PDF file format) at http://www.nmc.org/pdf/2009-Horizon-Report.pdf.
You can also view a video/slideshow that records when the report was presented at EDUCAUSE (53 minutes in length) at http://hosted.mediasite.com/hosted5/Viewer/?peid=ac311d35918948468f92deab20379246 (or http://tinyurl.com/8uh9ss).
Keep in mind that the Horizon Report 2009 identifies:
- The top 6 predictions for technologies that will be adopted in higher education,
- Provides a timeline for the anticipated adoption (ranging from less than a year to four-five years),
- Provides current examples of how the trends are being used, and
- Allows readers to participate by adding additional examples through the use of social bookmarking (uses delicious, see http://delicious.com/tag/hz09 but you can also view just the bookmarks for each trend – I’ll share those links as we go along).
More to follow...